Setting Things Right Podcast for August 14, 2013
The August 14, 2013 episode of Setting Things Right show uses its Open-Line-Wednesday format taking listener calls and e-mails. Topics discussed include:
- A conversation with Jan Benton, Executive Director of the National Catholic Partnership on Disability, about its mission and about its November 1 – 3, 2013 National Conference in Huston, Texas,
- Specifics on AB 1266, a bill that passed both the California Assembly and Senate and was signed into law by Governor Brown on August 13, that enshrines certain rights for transgender K-12 students in state law, requiring public schools to allow those students access to whichever restroom and locker room they want and which also allows transgender students to choose whether they want to play boys’ or girls’ sports.
- How AB 1266 violates parents’ rights to have their children in safe settings when not in their care,
- Discussion following an e-mail asking why Catholic Church employers sometimes do not practice what they preach about fair wages and benefits,
- Whether Pope Francis is turning away from social issues such as abortion and the redefinition of marriage while leaning toward issues generally embraced by unions and the left, and
- Why Catholics should avoid a we/they attitude when working on issues on which they are in disagreement with others.
Podcast: Download (Duration: 55:04 — 37.8MB)